1. Entertainment
Erin Collazo Miller

My Sister's Keeper Book Vs. Movie

By June 23, 2009

'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult My Sister's Keeper is Jodi Picoult's first book to become a major motion picture. It will be released in theaters this Friday. The adaptation is not without controversy, however. The director decided to make the ending of the movie different than the book against Picoult's wishes and much to the outrage of her fans. I can't imagine how the story could work without the ending in the book, but at least I'll be in suspense when I watch the movie.

What do you think? Join the discussion in our forum about the new ending to My Sister's Keeper or leave a comment about whether you will see the movie despite the change.

Cover Photo Courtesy Atria

Comments

June 27, 2009 at 8:45 am
(1) Ash says:

The ending ruined the effect of the whole story… plus they COMPLETELY left out her court appointed gardian Julia. Her attorneys seisure is out of the blue because they dont develope the story of his dog enough. Annas close relationship with her dad is left out. And the ending is the one you were expecting in the book but didnt happen. To me the book was amazing because of the written ending. this movie is an OUTRAGE

June 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm
(2) Ashleigh says:

I think had I not read the book before seeing the film, the film would have been great. Overall it was acted out great, however, the ending was extremely disappointing. Also, a good few key parts were left out, such as Jesse’s outburst, the guardian, and of course the car accident scene! The movie was good, but the book was far better!

June 27, 2009 at 5:22 pm
(3) Stephanie says:

i read the book which i thought was amazing and just had to see the movie. i told my boyfriend that he would love the movie because i thought it would have been like the book. he hated it. i told him the book ending after the movie and he agreed that it would have been a better ending. i think they should re-make the movie with the books ending. because that was far better.

June 28, 2009 at 3:19 am
(4) Allison says:

I was very disappointed with the movie. The ending to me captured the entire book, and the fact that they changed the whole thing was an outrage. Anna’s final gift to her sister was her life and that was the most important thing. Also the underdeveloped character of Jesse was sorely missed, I thought that the movie only focused on Anna, Sara and Kate, while the book was about the entire family’s struggle. Very disappointing.

June 29, 2009 at 2:31 am
(5) Bridget says:

I LOVED the book.. the movie left soooo many key parts out.. and it just didn’t empasise what it should have.. The relationships were not established in the film and the characters were undeveloped. Leaving sooo much out was very disapointing. The film does the book NO JUSTICE. And to change the ending is so maddening. How can you do that to such a powerful story!

June 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(6) Laura says:

I refused to see the movie because the book is so beautiful and powerful. Also, I think that some of the most winning characteristics within the family are glaring flaws that I assumed the movie would gloss over. Now that I know that they changed the ending-there is no way that I am going to go see it. Also, leaving out Julia? The story between her and Campbell is one of the best parts!

June 29, 2009 at 1:52 pm
(7) Jennifer says:

I just saw the movie yesterday and had not heard that they had destroyed the ending. I was sitting in the theatre thinking “what the ???” I was waiting for the payoff of the ending and I could not believe how they changed it. The book was amazing and intense and the original ending was so powerful, that I couldn’t wait to see how it carried over into the film. I was truly disappointed. Overall I thought the acting was fine, but agree with the other comments about the lack of development of Jesse & Campbell’s characters, however, in a 2 hour movie, something had to give, I just don’t think it should’ve been the ending.

June 29, 2009 at 3:34 pm
(8) Jeannie says:

I saw the movie yesterday. I prefer the book but the movie was also very good. At first I was mad about the ending being changed but after thinking about it more I kind of like both endings. I like the books ending because it was unpredictable. I like the movies ending because it seemed a bit more realistic since Kate’s problems were far deeper than just needing a kidney. Anyway, both the book and movie are beautiful and moving.

June 29, 2009 at 6:41 pm
(9) Seffron says:

I read to book about a year ago and was so anticipating the movie release. What a disappointment. Jesse with the fires, Julie as the court appointed guardian and all the struggles that goes with it. The Ending OMG how do you totally change the ending of a book of that magnitude. Oh well, I guess that is why the book came first it was much better.

June 29, 2009 at 7:02 pm
(10) Jenny says:

Also disappointed in the ending as that was what made the book an incredible read. If the author didn’t want the change how could the director go ahead without her permission? Movie was very touching but after reading the book it was a bit of a let down. Also would’ve liked to see more of the brother’s behavior played out in the movie the way it was in the book. I’d give it a B+

June 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(11) Isabelle says:

I can’t believe this. i was unaware of the change until i saw the movie, and i am very very disappointed. i agree 100% with everything ash said.

June 30, 2009 at 12:26 am
(12) K says:

I liked both; and both had its pros and cons. The ending; I don’t know if we are allowed to add spoilers, but I will just said, just as sad but different. I guess Picoult and other didn’t like it because it was more predictable. The movie didn’t, as somebody else say, show much of his comments about the dog and which was this big mystery in the book. In the book different people asked him why he had a service dog and he gave a smart answer to everybody but a different one. And the whole time you wonder why. I guess they edited scenes from the movie though. Also, there was not as much of a relationship between Anna and Alexandra in the movie. All in all both were great.

June 30, 2009 at 12:28 am
(13) K says:

I liked both the movie and the book, but more information in the book and they edited so much out.

June 30, 2009 at 2:15 am
(14) Gina says:

I just finished the book and I have to say it was a tear jerking ending for me. Not what i was expecting at all. After reading the book I went upstairs to my girls room and sat there in the dark watching them sleep. It makes me not want to take any granted. Blessed to have two healthy baby girls, but not forget that time goes by so fast that making precious memory now so we won’t regret if anything should happen.

Have not seen the movie, but would be a bit disappointed if the ending was different. Too bad they left Julia out, it would be funny to see Jesse trying to hit on her!! ha!

June 30, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(15) Shelly B says:

I read the book some time ago, so I was a little hazy about everything that happened…
That being said, I did remember it being a REALLY good book… I was looking forward to the movie for that very reason.

WHAT a disappointment. The ending was HORRIBLE… whoever made the decision to change it should be relegated to getting coffee from this point forward. Seriously! I realize the book is almost ALWAYS better than the movie, but in this case, there was NO comparison.

Interesting tidbit though… I went with a friend who had NOT read the book and she thought it was a pretty good movie.

June 30, 2009 at 9:40 pm
(16) Sara says:

This movie is completely different from the book. My Sister’s Keeper is my favorite book but the movie was disappointing. They did not show enough of Jesse’s problems and Julia wasn’t even in the movie at all! I think they made a huge mistake changing the ending. It totally changed the message of the book!

July 1, 2009 at 2:00 am
(17) Mary says:

I loved the story in the book.On a dif. note, I hated the books font set up switching per character. I finished reading the book on Father’s day so that it would be right before the movie came out. I made sure that I didn’t read any reviews as to not know anything about the movie. I went tonight with my daughter, her bestfriend and her mother to see the movie. If you didn’t know the story, it was a tear jerker movie. They loved it. I was dumbfounded that they left out so much of the intimate details of the book. I could not believe that they changed the ending… The fires were important to whom Jessie was, Julia should have been a big non-family character. They didn’t play out the friendship between Anna and Campbell or explain the restraining order etc.

July 1, 2009 at 2:58 am
(18) Nickie P. says:

This book was quite possibly one of the best books I have read in a long time. In the book the characters are developed so well.. obviously you can’t cram in everything in a 2 hour movie but THE MOVIE missed SO many important parts, they had a great cast and for the most part played their parts well but the following ruined it for me and many others :
JESSE .. was a COMPLETE trouble maker in the book, starting fires, his hobo friend, doing drugs, drinking.

Judge DeSalvo .. was obviously a man in the book but I found she was one character that did a pretty good job in the movie.

Sara’s Sister.. wasn’t ALL that involved with Kate until she needed help, because in the book she seemed too busy and too successful to spend much time with the family until Sara had asked for help.

Anna and Brian’s relationship was next to none.

Julia .. where the HELL was she?

and Campbell, the reason for the dog in the movie was pointless.

Terrible movie!!

July 1, 2009 at 8:03 am
(19) Imdette says:

Our book group really loved the book. I read it, handed it around and our group was formed (about 20 of us)–we even have a few members overseas. We’ve been really looking forward to the movie because the book gave us what we call a good “ugly cry”–where you can just let go and enjoy the emotions. However, after reading these comments and ALL the comments all over the web, we won’t be seeing the movie. No interest. Not the kind of movie most of us usually see and since they’ve mucked up the ending of this wonderful book, there’s no reason to go. Shame on the directors and producers!! You had good material and we would have loved to have seen it brought to film.

July 1, 2009 at 10:53 am
(20) christa says:

I really disappointed about this movie they changed almost every aspect of it that made it what it was. It’s ridiculous the ending was the key to the story and it all says it in the title my sister’s KEEPER, she saves her sister!
The book was 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more interesting then that silly movie, really!

July 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm
(21) Lidogal says:

After seeing the movie, I once again understand why I love books. I can’t believe how different the movie was from the book. The movie was about Kate; the book was about Anna. If I had been Jodi Picoult, I would never have allowed so many omissions and changes…it seemed almost like a different story. We all know Hollywood wants to sell tickets — not tell a story.

July 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(22) Wendy Tylich says:

I won’t be going to see the movie.

July 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(23) Amanda M says:

I completely disliked the movie!!! i feel it contridicted the whole point and storyline of the book. throughout the movie i was preparing my mind to the demise of anne at the end and it never came! i was truly disappointed and so were many others i mean come on how clique was it for the “girl with kemo” to die! the best part of the book was that it was DIFFERENT than most sap stories why did the director have to change the ending! he stole so many viewers from the true emotional connection that i think would have brought the book to life

July 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm
(24) Amanda M says:

o ya n additionally they completely left out the role of julia!!!!! her character brought a much more personal feel to Mr alexander and would have tied in nicely with the complex story line. o ya n not to mention jesse! they said he completely turned his life around at the end an yet they never showed his drug problems or arsen issue lik they did in the book lik come on..

July 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm
(25) jenny says:

I did not read the book, but I LOVED the movie. However if I would have read the book I would probably be feeling like most of you, dissapointed. Books are always better then movies, thats just the way it is. But I must say I heard about the book ending and it would have been much more unpredictable.

July 5, 2009 at 3:15 am
(26) alex says:

i have to admit that i haven’t read the book yet. it’s on my to do list for tomorrow. but i do have to say that the movie was awesome. yes, the books are always better than the movies but come on. one kidney is going to save a leukemia patient? when i found out how the book ended i was horrified. yes it would have ended like everyone one expected and it’s not a clique that the girl with cancer dies. she had leukemia not cancer in the kidneys. getting different organs donated doesn’t cure her leukemia. i get you all LOVE the book but don’t bash the movie because it’s realistic.

July 6, 2009 at 3:46 pm
(27) Jessie says:

I read the book and im more for the happy endings. so i didnt like the ending of the book very much. i didnt like how they just dropped jesse out of it after the dad found out it was him starting the fires. im going to see the movie this thursday so i just hope i will understand it.

July 6, 2009 at 9:36 pm
(28) Taylorq says:

Wow. This was an amazing book. I started reading 6 days ago on July 1st and i finishsed it today, july 6th.( while i was on Vacation in Disney World.) i wanted to cry in the middle of it!….I HATED the end but i stil love the book! im such a sucker for a sad story….im very disapponited to hear from my friends on how the movie ends. i was telling my friend about how great the book is and she turns to me and says “what the heck are you talking about!?” that never happens to Anna she said and then i was sad that i was going to go watch a movie with a different ending….BOOK IS 1,000,000,000,000 times better!

July 6, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(29) Tricia says:

I was very surprised when I saw the movie and then ending had been changed. I thought for sure that when Anna and the rest of the family left the hospital room on that last night they were going to get in a car accident. The most amazing twist of the book was left out!! I think the movie was well done. With so many characters it is hard to develop them enough in an hour and a half. However, I think the choice to change the ending ruined the whole point of the story. Will there be an alternate ending on the DVD? Why was this ending chosen? Was it voted upon or did the director just up and choose it? Hmmm…

July 7, 2009 at 2:32 pm
(30) P says:

I must be the only person in the world who thought the original ending in the book was far too affected to be the bitter sweet tragedy-come-inspiration it was perhaps meant to be. As a result, i think i am also the only person in the world who didn’t mind the ending to the film. I actually thought it far more poignantly delivered the message originally cited by the author as critical to the book’s original ending; that sad things happen and sometimes they cannot be reversed.

July 7, 2009 at 10:35 pm
(31) Deni Hitzfeld says:

I was extremely disappointed by the movie’s ending! In my opinion, the book’s ending is the morale of the story. It is a lesson in valuing all of your children. Life is fleeting. You never know what could happen or when!!

I am shocked that Jodi would allow this movie to be made when I significantly alters the story for the worse.

July 9, 2009 at 9:50 am
(32) Michelle says:

Deni – you couldn’t have said it any better! The book points out the fleetingness of life and to a degree you do get that from the movie, but COME ON HOLLYWOOD – stop trying to put pretty little bows on everything, life is just not like that!

July 10, 2009 at 9:19 am
(33) Dianne says:

I saw the film last night with my mate – who had not read the book – and wondered in there confident I wouldnt shed a tear, knowing full well the whole time as I watched Kate deteriorate, that she would survive. Even right down to the scene with Kate giving her mum the photo book she made for her….I kept thinking hey, when is this car crash coming? Come on!!

Gobsmacked, stunned, sorely disappointed and outraged describes how I felt when this did not happen. The ending of the book was the source and power behind the entire story. Instead of embracing that, the director has made the film a story about a girl who dies of cancer. Thats not what My Sister’s Keeper was about.

Leaving out so many other key aspects of the book also ruined the magic of the relationships throughout.

Also, as much as I am a Cameron Diaz fan, I do not think she was the right actress for this role. She is too young, and you do not associate Diaz as a mother. That was another killer for me – how could the director get it all so wrong?

Even down to the casting, this film did not AT ALL capture the magic and strength of the true story.

July 14, 2009 at 2:28 am
(34) Pip Godfrey says:

I went to see the movie last night and was astonished when Kate died. It totally ruined the film. That was the whole fascinating twist in the tale that made the book. I cant believe the writer allowed this miscarriage of story line. What a shame, thought it would be brilliant, but reminded me of one of those emotional films you find on random film channels made for women to have a good cry too. When I read the book the whole story, the characters stayed with me for a long time, in my thoughts, just when you think nothing will change everything does. The film was bland, what a shame.

July 15, 2009 at 2:20 am
(35) eureka says:

The book and the movie really are two completely different stories.

The movie does a better job at realistically portraying the story of cancer. I worked with pediatric oncology patients and families and this is, so far, the most accurate portrayal of what really happens when a family is diagnosed with cancer.

The book does not center around the cancer as much. It’s about the legal battle moreso.

The ending of the book pissed me off when I read it. I found it too contrived and “convenient”. I liked the movie for telling an endearing and realistic story (albeit a much different one than the book).

July 15, 2009 at 11:10 pm
(36) Charisma says:

I’ll never forget, it was about 4 years ago… I had just been discharged from the Amry and was on my way to the airport to catch my much anticipated flight back home. I ended up missing my flight and just wondered around the airport… I ended up in a book store where I spotted this book… the cover immediatley grabbed my attention then I read the back and was captivated. I read it on my flight home. It was an amizingly beautiful and inspiring story. I love this book. The movie… not so much… I still cried, but that’s because I am really emotional… I’m a crybaby. Eh… I kept telling my husband throughout the movie that this didn’t happen like this in the book and what about Jesse and all the things he had gotten himself into. Of course, when books are made into movies, they always leave out the important things or replace them with whatever vision the director has. HELLO???? The reason the book was such a hit was because it was well written!!! Why change it just to fit your big screen? Anywho, I still think the movie was alright. I wasn’t really expecting Cameron Diaz to do very good… but to my surprise, she did an ok job. Just ok though. Practice makes perfect, right?

July 23, 2009 at 11:07 am
(37) Charlotte says:

I am writing an essay on the book and have just picked it back up after watching the film and the film makers have left the important parts of the book out. Most of the main story is gone it really all about Kate. Anna and Sara in the film, but the book is more spread about showing how the other charactors are affected by the cancer and how they deal with it. Jesse and Brian’s storeys are a main part of the book as they show a strong bond with Anna and how they help Anna cope with her mum and the court case. Talking to teacher i was told that the ending was changed because hollywood like to have happy endings but i think the books ending has more meaning and show that life is unpredictable and that your fait can change, but the film ruined all of that.

July 27, 2009 at 8:07 pm
(38) Abi says:

I was outraged by the changed ending.
I actually sat in my seat and said; WHAT?
Leaving Julia out ruined it for me aswell, as then we didn’t get to know Campbell as well as we did. Also, they left out how troubled Jesse really was, and what was this as him as an artist? I have to say, the only thing remotely similar was Kate and Taylor’s relationship… and even then there were differences. Overall quite dissappointed, but still quite incredible film making.

July 30, 2009 at 12:09 pm
(39) Paige says:

Was the point behind this movie that the director didn’t really want to make it so he destroyed it like a toddler having a temper tantrum? I would LOVE to know his reasons for leaving out critical relationships and altering the ending to what HE THINKS is the best ending- did he even read the book? If he had, then he would have know it is the author’s twists that keep readers coming back for more. The director missed the point – too bad.

July 31, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(40) Rose says:

I read the book, as soon as I was done with it wanted to see the movie. Talked to my sister in-law who saw the movie and we realized it was not the same as the book. After reading the post here…not going to see the movie. I must add the book was GREAT!

August 2, 2009 at 5:02 pm
(41) Jacky says:

Read the book which was fantastic and thought I’d watch the film to put it all in pictures so to speak. Was bitterly disappointed as film bears little resemblance to the film. All important bits were left out
Annaís relationship with her father
Sister coming on the scene
Purpose of Campbellís dog
Annaís relationship with Campbell
Julia??
The ending – well………?????
The list is endless
So glad I read the book and not relied on the film

August 5, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(42) Sandy says:

Had I not read the book, it would have been an ok film. Cameron Diaz character was too bitchy in my opinion. Alec Baldwin was not the young, lean stud I was expecting for Campbell. I really missed Julia and all of the subplots that were left out. They were critical. The ending threw me for a loop. Why mess with a good thing? Movie gets ***, book gets *****.

August 6, 2009 at 11:46 am
(43) Larfay says:

Yes I read the book, & OOOHH God Did They change an leave out alot. But if your a fan & love this title then why should what i think stop you from seeing it. what the hell is wrong with the Anna Living? I think you all miss somthing, Kate ask her to do this so Anna counld have the life Kate never did, & in the way she became her sisters keeper. Realistically i think the movie hit home, but dramatizing & having the time too I think the book was great as well

Stop crying go see the movie & cry a little

August 6, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(44) Phantom says:

The book was awesome definitely one of the best I’ve read in a while. I usually prefer to read books with magic in them, or that have a fictional theme like Harry Potter, Eragon, The Alchemyst, etc. Those books still remain high on my list of my all time favorite books, but My Sister’s Keeper is without a doubt the best “realistic fiction” book I have read. The minute I finished reading the book I wanted to see the movie, but to my dissapointment I found out that a lot of the book’s main plots and characters were left out. Plus, the movie is out of theatres anyway!! Ah well, I’m not too interested in seeing a movie way different from the book before it. However, i will definitely be looking out for the movie when it comes to DVD

August 8, 2009 at 11:49 pm
(45) Joanne says:

It’s always a delemma; do I ruin a good book (by seeing the movie first) or do I ruin a good movie (by reading the book first). In this case I saw the movie first and absolutely loved it. I just finished reading the book; I read it in a day and a half as I couldn’t put it down. I have to say that I was devastated and angry to discover that Anna dies and not Kate. Even so it was a great read. In conclusion I would advise you to treat both the movie and the book as separate entities and enjoy both of them. I am glad however that I saw the movie first.

August 9, 2009 at 1:10 am
(46) Shana says:

The movie didn’t come close to how great the book was. First off Jesse was suppose to be a misunderstood boy who was very troubled and starts fires. Second Julia who was an important character in the book was no where in the movie, and she helps us see another side of Campbell. And third, they barely talked about Campbell’s condition and how he got like that. And the ending was way off in the movie, Kate wasn’t suppose to die. The movie could of been a whole lot better, but it was ok.

August 9, 2009 at 11:45 pm
(47) Joanne says:

Very disappointed in the ending of the book. Liked the movie better. Kate was the one who was supposed to die. The author would have us believe that this family who has been living on the edge for 12 years during Kate’s leukemic episodes gets over Anna’s death and all is cured???? Jesse becomes a police officer??? Kate goes into remission??? How does Jesse suddenly straighten out especially when Dad is hitting the bottle big time after Anna’s death. Are epileptics allowed to drive?? Poor Anna the donor child – it seems even her death is glossed over. All is well as Kate got her kidney??? According to the ethics committee they would not even have okayed the surgery due to her poor medical condition. I hate endings where the author seems to have had enough and just wants to get the ending over with as it appeared in this case. She didn’t need another twist as the twist was the fact that Kate put Anna up to the lawsuit. The movie had the more plausible ending.

August 14, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(48) Hollie says:

I watched the film first and have yet to read the book but my mum told me the ending was different but didnt tell me what happened as not to ruin the book. i really enjoyed the film as i hadn’t read the book. i am upset that the director did not respect the fact that jodi picoult wrote that ending so that should be the ending in the film. i think i will enjoy the book more as the ending will be different.

August 18, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(49) Deborah Sobrado says:

Hi, well lets start with this. Jodi Piccoult is an amazing writer she can take a reader to a whole new world so deep that one can se themselves portraing every character in the book.In my sister’s keeper ,I , as the reader felt like all of the characters.kate; the fighter, Anna the giver, jesse; the misunderstood, dad, the provider and love giver and mom the nonsurrenderer if that’s even a word. in the movie i could not find myself connecting with any of the characters the whole aura about the movie was around you knowing kate would die and if you didnt read the book you hoping anna would donate her kidney.julia was a main character in the movie and she was cut off jesse was only used to speak once or twice in the movie the attorney’s breakdown was not the same way in the book and we never got to experience every character.Yes film is expensive and sure you are time limited but they should have incliuded alot of stuff they didnt. then ending killed it for me the way they ended it is in no way related to the point of the book how about the fact that kate should have been the one to live? or the way anna inpacted the attorneys life and julia’s ? what about the irony in the book that anna finally gets her liberty to die later own and save kate’s life? to me the movie killed the book. in no way can i relate the two. i felt very betrayed as a fan.

August 30, 2009 at 7:06 pm
(50) hannah says:

it is stupid how the ending canged i don’t like the movei

September 5, 2009 at 2:13 am
(51) Jasmine says:

I haven’t seen the movie or read the book but apparently it is really good. What do you guys recommend is better?

September 21, 2009 at 9:07 pm
(52) Cherish says:

I loved the book. And went to see the movie the otehr day and was very dissapointed. I hadn’t heard anything about them changing the ending and I am very dissapointed that it was changed. The ending to the book wrapped everything up and was just breath taking. Over all the movie was decent but it could have been beter.

September 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(53) Tanya says:

I guess I was in the minority in hating the ending of the book, and appreciating better how the movie handled it. In fact, I thought the book ending was a cop-out, and, at the time I read it, I *wanted* the movie ending.

I thought the movie was beautifully done. Of course they had to leave things out — that’s typical for a movie adaptation. Otherwise, how could they possibly fit it into two hours?! But the core of the story remained as it should.

Honestly, if you’re going into a movie expecting it to be exactly like the book, your expectations are incredibly unrealistic.

October 7, 2009 at 9:54 am
(54) Katie says:

I loved both the book and the movie. The movie had me weeping the whole way through and the book kept me on edge. all of these other posts saying how they should have made the movie with the book ending is rediculous..it would not have been rational at all because see, then it would all have been out of coincidence and thats not what people want to see, people want to see the truth and how it would have realistically happened. and also, people have been saying how the left out so much in the movie. its because they can’t fit everything into a movie, thus it would get boring for people who hadnt read the book. also, i thought jodi did a great job with the story of campbell and his dog in the book, it always kept you wondering about it and you finally find out in the end. i hate how everyone is so dissapointed with the movie! you cant expect it to be exactly the same as the book. if you are going into the theater with the mind set that its going to be just like the book, you are very unrealistic.

anyways, im guess im only one of the few people who loved both the movie and the book, and were dissapointed by neither.

October 20, 2009 at 9:09 am
(55) sarah newbery says:

I read the book and it was so sad that it really left a mark on me i have only read about 10 books as i used to think why read when you can see it on tv but i have only read books like twilight saga,host and kissed by an angel and other love books really between a man and woman nothing about family love.
The book i read in 3 days i couldnt put it down and the ending omg i couldnt believe it i wanted to cry so ad but i thought no keep reading maybe it was all a bad dream.
The movie when i saw it i was exspectin to see the same story line as the book and when i didnt i was a bit upset.
I really think they should of kepted the story for the lawyer the same it was so nice.
But i did like the movie ending abit for one reason is it stopped me from crying :) and atleast you have both sides and you can pick which one you want :) to be honest i just wish she would have given her her kidney it worked everyone happy oh well.

October 20, 2009 at 10:16 am
(56) Silent Thoughtz says:

See like many others i read the book and seen the movie as well and the movie did exactly what it was suppose to do in regards to the ending…..If we all read the same book then we know what the constant battle was which was the views of Kate & Anna and thats what the endings of the book and movie described….it gave you the outlook on both being happy the possibility of both living on….Book-Kate Movie=Anna everything else was well played and i think they did a terrific job on both….if you had seen one without the other or took account to when you was watching the movie to view it as you never heard the story as a new perspective you would have viewed it in that manner and felt for the character views for either Kate’s Struggle or Anna’s Struggle and realized how much of a beautiful story this truly was either within the book or within the movie….

October 24, 2009 at 10:40 am
(57) brittney says:

i agree with Larfay, yes i have read the book, and no i haven’t seen the movie, but, it’s not the contents of the movie, it’s what you get out of it after watching it.
if you can honestly tell me that you have read the book, and cried (cause my friend who NEVER cries, cried in this book), and then watched the movie, and not cried
YOU HAVE NO HEART
sorry to be cruel but fact is fact
the movie is supposed to capture the life of a teenager battling the struggling disease, leukemia

THATS THE MORAL OF THE STORY

yes it sucks that they left out major parts, people, scenes
it’s still an inspiring story

and we shouldn’t be hating on Jodi for letting it go ahead, because without her amazing imagination we wouldn’t even be having this conversation

October 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(58) kaitlyn says:

i never read the book, but i do plan on it. i heard it was amazing, and i thought the movie was soooo sad. it was a great movie though.

October 27, 2009 at 11:19 am
(59) Aimee says:

I never read the book, i have however, ordered it and plan on reading it when it arrives. I had heard about the book ending and so when i went to watch the movie, was quite suprised that it wasnt how my friends said. I think the ending to the film was good, but if they had followed the book and the book ending, it would have been better, and had the whole someones got to give to let go senario. I lvoed the film tho, really heart touching and a little tearjerker. The young girls in the film are amazing actors.

October 31, 2009 at 7:00 pm
(60) Jatoyia G. says:

I just saw the dvd of the movie. i originally wasn’t going to see the movies because i loved the book so much but i went ahead and saw the dvd with my friends. IT WAS SUCH A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!! Jesse and the lawyer was undeveloped and the ending changed the whole significance of the plot. I wished they didn’t focus on Kate and the mom so much and took the time to tell the whole family’s story, just like the book. All in all i give the movie a 6 and the book a THOUSAND!!!!

November 2, 2009 at 12:27 am
(61) Jason says:

I like the movie ending better. Sorry Ms. Picoult, but I agree with Hollywood on this one. I know you like your snappy endings. The main point of the book was her emancipation and the family’s inability to see Anna as an individual and not a guinee pig. They brought her up to believe that everything she did was for her sister. Even filing suit was for her. Hollywood turned it around and showed both the family’s gradual acceptance of death and their acceptance of Anna as a living being all her own.

But…whether you liked the book or the movie, it’s still a great story.

November 9, 2009 at 6:45 am
(62) Shilo says:

I was extremely disappointed about the ending of the movie and the decision to exclude the character Julia from the movie. I think she was a significant part of the story and Jodi Pilcoult should not have allowed this to happen! I know she says she had no control over the movie, but surely it is her book, her ORIGINAL screenplay?
My friend, who has NOT read the book did not understand the part about Campbell and his dog at all! Way to undeveloped with his and Jesses character, i had to constantly explain to her what was happening!
I think Cameron diaz did a wonderful job, although strange choice!
I think Abigail Breslin was perfect! She portayed Anna beautifully

November 18, 2009 at 8:52 am
(63) Jenn says:

Personally, I liked both the Movie and The Book. They may have different endings and a few other changes, but over all they both made good stories.

November 28, 2009 at 11:03 pm
(64) Dani says:

I saw this movie a little while ago, and I had been wanting to see it for a while. Ive never been more disappointed. I cant believe they completely eliminated Julia’s character and her and Campbell’s subplot! It was amazing and so interesting! They didnt develop Campbell’s character at all, and his epileptic problem. They even changed his “backwards” name. Jesse was also extremely underdeveloped. The ending was the most apalling. I was so shocked and angry! The book made me cry because the ending was so unexpected! I still cant believe how they completely twisted the plot. Im awfully disappointed. Although I do agree with Shilo, Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin did a great job.

November 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(65) Christina says:

So disappointed. I am glad to hear it was against Picoult’s wishes that they changed the ending b/c if she agreed I was going to completely stop reading her books.

November 30, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(66) FY says:

Both endings are fairly predictable, if they wanted a real tragedy, they would have put in that the surgery went terribly wrong and both died, but the movie’s ending was more realistic because one kidney won’t really change a thing and the surgery is treated like a deus ex machina cure all. The issue with movies is that when dealing with a drama or a subject like this, the director can’t develop loads and loads of characters otherwise they would have a three hour long movie filled with drama that no one can get up from. This also includes exposition and subplots, sometimes things need to get cut out so the movie doesn’t turn into a big depressing mess. With a book, if the atmosphere gets too heavy, a person can simply put it down and step away and think about it, but with a movie, the audience has to stay immersed. That’s why, in a lot of movies, there are comedic scenes interlaced with the drama to break the tension. Also, I feel as though the movie’s ending was somewhat more unexpected since I didn’t read the book prior to watching the movie. I actually predicted that Kate was going to live, but was surprised when she died. I think that it’s great that they brought in Cameron Diaz and Alec Baldwin, give them a chance to break their usual character molds and let them play serious roles. The movie was done very well and should be kept as a separate entity from the book since the mediums are very different. There’s nothing wrong with a happy ending and this one isn’t as bad as it could have been.

November 30, 2009 at 6:14 pm
(67) LadyGunnison says:

I was disappointed and furious at the end of the movie… why would you ever take such an amazing book and chance it into a movie and RUIN the ending. The movie left out characters… and wasn’t true to the book at all. I felt robbed. My mother and I read the book together and were looking forward to the movie… what a let down. The movie is typical and the book left you in shock.

December 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm
(68) Bonnie says:

To begin with OMG! This is one of the biggest disappointments ever! When I saw the trailers for the movie, I thought this looks like a good movie. But I had heard that the book was a lot better, so I went and bought the book and I absolutely loved it.
There are so many good things about it.
The effect of writing from many points of view worked so well in the book but the directors and producers of this movie just did not pull it off as well as I hoped. It was a technique used that made the book unique. SHOCKING MOVIE
Julia, where do I start? You cannot completely leave a character out. She was such an important character in understanding Campbell and they just left her out. Also, Campbellís dog, also an important component of him and the purpose of the dog is completely misunderstood by the makers of the film. SHOCKING MOVIE
Jesse is completely a forgotten character in the movie, no reference to him starting fires or dealing with his drug addiction nothing. SHOCKING MOVIE
They didnít even touch on the breakdown in the relationship between Sara and Anna, and therefore the leaving of Anna and living with Brian is not even addressed. SHOCKING MOVIE
And as for the ending. OMG is all I can say. That was the outstanding and the most memorable part of the book. It is predictable that Kate will die, that is why by having Anna die makes the book such a success. SHOCKING MOVIE
Overall generally a SHOCING MOVIE

December 5, 2009 at 3:07 am
(69) Miguel Lopes says:

I liked the movie, but the ending was very weak. The book had a more powerful and meaningful ending… Overall B+.

December 5, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(70) syd says:

I loved the movie. the ending was more realistic and she got to go see taylor

December 7, 2009 at 11:05 pm
(71) Eils says:

Can’t even begin to explain how upset i am that the ending from the book did not appear in the film. I almost feel as if they are after robbing Jodi Picoult and the fans of the book somehow!

All the relationships in the movie where underdeveloped apart from kate and anna’s! Jesse’s character was completely different from the book, they even left out the part when Jesse pretended to be drunk so he could distract Sara (Anna’a mother) so Anna could visit her sister!

I just cannot understand how some of the key elements of this book were discarded! Where was Julia? Why wasn’t Brian’s hobby of astrology even touched upon? Why wasnt Cambell Alexander’s illness brought in to the story more and that is just the tip of the iceberg i could go on for quite a while with all the stuff they left out!

Now i know that with a book not every single detail can be added to a movie but i dont understand how some of the storylines of this book were not even considered! Cambell and Julia’s romance would of added a nice sub-plot considering the deep sadness of the main plot!
Im just so disillusioned at how a person could massacre a story of this magnitude!
Although on a lighter note, i must say the performances were excellent i really think that the main characters done the emotional content of the book justice! I would never in a million years have seen Cameron Diaz, while reading the book, as Anna’s mother, but she certainly done the character justice!
Overall, i believe the book to be far superior to the movie!
At least, with the book the reader gets to experience all the characters even julia’s wacky sister and the unseen, incredibly suprising twist of fate at the end which i will not ruin for you!

So if you haven’t read the book i strongly advise you to get it because you wont be able to put it down then see the movie and come to your own conclusions!

Happy Reading! :-)

December 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm
(72) Bob James says:

ABOUT THE MOVIE IS JUST LIKE THE MOVIE AND I THINK THAT THE MOVIE IS REALLY SAD DURING WHEN I WAS READING THE BOOK I CYRIED AND WHEN I BOUGHT THE BOOK I CXRIED AS WEEL SO I HOPE YOU LIKE MY COMEY

YOUR SINCERELY Bob James

December 17, 2009 at 10:59 pm
(73) Bernie alta Nig says:

This book was an amazing story about the struggles of each character and how Kate’s cancer affects everyone that cares for her. I enjoyed how Jodi Picoult had each chapter be a different character’s perspective of the situation. It really added more understanding and feeling to the story. Anna was in a tough position since she had to decide between what was right for herself, and what would keep her sister alive. People criticize how Sara acted, as if she only really cared for Kate, but if you were a mother you would do whatever you could to keep your child alive. Yes, Anna was born for the wrong reasons, but her mother loved her all the same, just didn’t show it like she should have. This book would teach lessons to any age group, and I strongly recommend it. I would suggest reading the novel first, then seeing the movie after. They go in two completely different directions, and give you alot of things to think about and compare. Next time you go to a book store pick it up, you won’t regret it!

December 26, 2009 at 8:13 am
(74) Megs says:

one word….ANNOYED!!!!!
the movie was such an insult to the author of the book, I couldnt believe they left out Julia and some of the important relationship strengths (such as Anna & her dad) but to change the ending completly just shows how much of a dick the director was….sooo predicatable!!!
the actors did a great job portraying their characters though, so thumbs up to them!!!

December 28, 2009 at 12:56 am
(75) Joe says:

Why does the movie have to be exactly like the book?! If I’d read the book before seeing the movie, I imagine I’d be surprised by the alternate ending, but disappointed? I don’t think so … when a story goes off in a different direction in a different medium, doesn’t it just create that much story to love?

December 28, 2009 at 11:25 am
(76) Geri says:

It would have been interesting if the director had shot the original book ending and then included it in the special features on the DVD. Then audiences would have had an opportunity to see it from both angles. Either way the story is a great one because Jodi Picoult has a way of allowing you to see all of the perceptions of the story. It forces you to be non-judgemental and to truly think for yourself about extreme life situations. I love that about her books.

December 29, 2009 at 5:00 am
(77) jess says:

I really enjoyed the movie and then I was watching the end thinking what is going on! I had read the book and not known about the ending. I think the way they did Anna’s voice over was really effective but I think they spent too much time on scenes that didn’t need to be that long. The ending was a disappointment.

January 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm
(78) Caroline says:

I did a silly thing with my sisters keeper, i saw the film first and five months later read the book. I very nearly died with the shock of the ending as i had not been aware of the proper ending in the book and was seriously anticipating the end of the movie to be the same in the book… And it wasn’t.
I cried so hard and while I agree the book was way better than the film, I could at least handle the movie better, the book crushed me. Loved it though!

January 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm
(79) Sydney says:

I first saw the movie and the people i went with had already read the book and i haven’t but was planning on it. SO during the movie one guy kept saying this is different but near the end they were both crying with me sitting there holding back but didn’t ever shed a tear. Well a couple weeks ago i read the book i liked it it was alike alot but they left out alot which is excpected from a 400 page book but they did miss alot of family detail and the judge was a girl and some charactors were not fully developed but i really liked the movie. Well i read the book and was about to cry because it was unecpected. Well right after i read the epologie and just started pouring out at like 2 a.m. it was REALLY sad!! over all i think everyone agrees the book is 100% better well maybe!!:)

January 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm
(80) Danielle says:

My Sisters Keeper was the first book I read by Jodi Picoult and I absolutely fell in love with the novel. I was so exited to see the movie because I was waiting to finnish the book before seeing it. I was talking it up to my boyfriend who kept asking why I loved such depressing stories. haha.. I kept telling him he’d like & he kept saying he wouldnt. In the end we both agreed that it was a terrible movie. It is an insult to Picoult to take such a well written story & butcher it the way the makers of the film did. Julia was no where to be found which was sad because Jodi wrote such a good side-story about her and Campbell. Jesse was such a strong character in the book, (although the way they portrayed him in the movie was good too) they still shouldn’t have changed so much about him. And of course.. The end of the movie. What the hell! I did not know that the movie ended this way and it was a compleate shocker. I was expecting an amazing movie after reading the book. It was bad. thumbs down to Nick Cassavetes.

January 18, 2010 at 2:59 am
(81) Stellina says:

I loved the book, and the movie would have been good if I haven’t read the book. I feel like they left out many key points from the book. I especially didn’t like the ending change because it was so perfect in the book. They left out the things like Anna and her dad looking at the stars, what she was named after, Jessie being the one catching things on fire, and Jessie practically living alone. They also left out Julia and how the impacted Cambell and Anna. They left out the many different things Cambell said Judge was for. Overall the movie was alright, but the book was ten times better.

January 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(82) Triss says:

I read the book first and had no clue about the changed endings either.

I’m glad I illegally watched the movie for free because it would have been a total waste of money to pay to see that crap. On reflection after watching the movie it seems to me someone just wanted a movie to make people cry, with alot of tear-jerking “sorry’s” and near-death realisation moments. There was basically nothing to credit this to the book apart from perhaps Taylor and Kate’s relationship – which I may mention was barely there in the book but of course being made into a blockbuster, romance had to have a big part somewhere.

February 28, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(83) lolo says:

did ana confess about kate wanting to die in the court room in the book?

March 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(84) Viv says:

…having read Jodi’s The Pact, and knowing Diaz was playing mom, I decided not to read the book first. Based on these comments I’m glad….the movie was amazing…the characters were so believable, excellent acting – I bawled like a baby.

March 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm
(85) Celeste Laubscher says:

Oh my gosh, I just finished reading the book today & could not wait to get the movie tonight – I should NOT have watched it! I am just so angry with the director – what a chop! How can you change the ending like that?????????? You honestly just wasted your time making that movie! And to leave out a main character?! What the heck? I loved Julia!! Terrible, terrible DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!

March 23, 2010 at 11:29 am
(86) Mel says:

Having read a fair few of these comments, I feel like I have to stick up for the movie a bit. Yes, it changed the ending completely and left out major parts of the book, like Jesse’s pyromania, Julia the guardian’s relationship with Campbell, and Anna’s hockey, but I think that it would have been really difficult to include all of the book in a two hour movie. They kept most of the important parts in, and although it would have been good to see Jesse’s breakdown, and Julia and Campbell, there’s only so much you can fit into two hours. The acting was amazing, and I enjoyed both the book AND the film.

April 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(87) Mavis says:

I read the book some time back and loved it. I kept waiting for the big ‘surprise’ ending in the movie and was sorely disappointed. It is a mystery to me why a writer would allow such desecration of her work. The ending in the book is what made it resonate. The ending of the movie was predictable and cliche’. The lovely sick child dies in the end plot has been done a million times! The actors were compelling and the cinematography was beautiful but I feel cheated.

April 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(88) Freja says:

I loved the book when i read it and couldnt wait to see the movie. Like most books that are made into movies, i refused to watch the movie until i had read the book. The movie disappointed me soooo much! it left out the most important parts like jesse’s arsons and campbell’s relationship with julia! it didnt even really focus on sarah’s sister! (i cant remembe her name right now) One good thing about the movie was the actors did great! Campbell’s and Judge De Salvo’s actors were great! But another thing that disapointed me was Kate’s boyfriend, I had invisioned him so much differently when i read the book. He was alright I guess though. And changing the end! That really made me change from thinking “well i guess it wouldve been a little long if the included EVERYONE’S backgrounds” to “Okay enough is enough”

April 14, 2010 at 8:40 am
(89) linsey says:

i havent read the book but i ABSOLUTELY loved the movie. best tear jerker i have ever seen.

May 23, 2010 at 12:49 am
(90) kelsss. says:

first of all. i love the movie.i i cryed. and, watch it all the time.I havent got the book yet, so i waiting too compare it to the movie.anyways,in the movie,. i loved how it made points,at some parts,where it made it, more intresting. and, i loved, how kate fell in llove with taylor. and, what was sad is he died.and how, she was talking to anna about not giving her the kidney,because she wanted to die,and anna asked her, how, it would feel like, and kate says, i hope it will lead me to find taylor.(:
which, meant,, she really loved him. and.. like, i love how kate, acted fine, even though she knew she was dieing,and soon goning to die.(:
i just loved it!(:

May 26, 2010 at 7:16 am
(91) charlotte says:

just saw my sister keeper what is the ending in the book the movie made me cry i did not think i could see it to the end. please let me know the book ending. thank you c

May 31, 2010 at 6:00 pm
(92) sis says:

ok so who ever DOESNT want 2 kno the book ending DONT read this blurb……so basically charlotte, Anna dies in the book rather than Kate (as it is in the movie). shes driving in the car with Campbell 2 go 2 the hospital 2 c Kate &gets into an accident. shes pretty much brain dead so Campbell says 2 tht they can donate her organs &so the kidneys go 2 Kate who lives! (Campbell had the power of attorney for Anna, so thts y it was his decision).

anyways…….i hated how Julia was left out of the movie!!!!! SOOOO unfair!!!! she was a gr8 character! also i disliked that Jesse’s character was vry undeveloped. seriously it was like he was just sort of there in the movie….his book character was much better!!! book was better in the descriptive sense &all, but I hated how in each the book&movie version they had 2 die. if both of them were able to live and be happy tht’d be gr8!

now, the reason I liked the movie’s ending better is not only because since its expected, so you probably wont cry as much…its also because thats what Kate wanted. she didnt want to go through any more treatments….she wanted it to be over. but its mainly because of the first reason tht I prefered it :p

June 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm
(93) bob says:

I’m glad I didnt read the book, cause it sounds like a stupid ending. And can someone please tell me what the big point was in the books ending, seems like cheap unrealistic junk. I saw the movie as a brave girl dealiing with her own death. And the beach scence and music was highlighting the unseen beauty in the world. KATE seem to suck up the beauty and accepted her death.

June 29, 2010 at 4:01 am
(94) suzi says:

I think the movie is beautiful.

But the ending in the book is important. I think the author is saying the parents did not deserve Anna because they conceived her for the wrong reason. She was just a means to keep Kate alive. She died to fulfill the destiny she was born for. It is absolutely a message to value ALL your children, not just one. That is lost with the changed ending and the failure to show Jesse’s problems.

July 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(95) ashley lopez says:

the ending to the movie didn’t make sense and the story of many characters were just open like there was something missing, it just hanged there. i did not like the ending to the movie but the book ending made much more sense and the different stories of everyone made everything come full circle. the movie should have been a mirror of the book, it would have received better reviews & ratings

July 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm
(96) bob again says:

This movie kicked a. It had several dimensions that I guess some missed. I’m glad I got it.

P.S The books ending would have really ruined the movie. Get over it , there is a different point to this movie then the book.

July 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm
(97) jake says:

I have only seen the movie and have not read the book. So I can not comment on how much the movie left out. However I thought the movie was really good on its own right and thought the ending was really well done. Afterward I found out what the ending to the book was and I honestly think the movie ending is better. Having Anna die just seems like one of those silly plot twists put in just to make the reader go ‘whoa’ and to also overly glorify Anna.

I think the movie had a much more realistic ending and also if Anna was the one who died and Kate got her organ then whose to say that the cancer doesn’t kill her off again in another couple years. Honestly I think the movie had the better ending for those reasons. Plot twists are ok in some stories but in tear jerking plots I think those devices need to be kept at bay.

July 27, 2010 at 4:03 pm
(98) TES says:

I normally hate the movie versions of films as they usually disapoint in some way, but I actually loved the movie version of My sisters keeper & the alternate ending to the book was a surprise, but totally in keeping with the reality of this type of disease. Kate was ultimatly responsible for getting Anna to petition her parents because she was ready to die, but her parents in particularly her mother refused to let go. Anna went through with it because she loved her sister & knew this was the only way to let her go! I think that was particularly brave of her knowing that she’d get a lot of hassle & blame! I didn’t like the book ending it just didn’t ring true in the fact that realistically Kate was far to sick to have another operation it was far too convenient for Anna to die by accident & then Kate to survive, besides Kate no longer wanted to live, she’d had enough & wanted to go! The movies ending was a more powerful message that whilst you can create a genetically matching child it doesn’t mean you’ll end up saving your first child, in the end you get to a stage where you have to draw the line & let death take it’s course!

July 27, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(99) louisa says:

I have only just seen the film i read the book and i must say i was disappointed in the ending to the film.The reason why Jodi Picoult book,s are so good is because they alway,s have a shock at the end and thats what i was looking for in the film i think they should of left the ending the way it was in the book.The ending to the film was so predictable they should of left it like it was

July 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm
(100) jake says:

louisa that is the problem I have with the book ending. Yes although it is shocking it is not all that realistic and true to life. It is pretty much just in there for shock value. I agree that the movie ending gives a more powerful message because it rings truer to life then the book ending does.

August 8, 2010 at 6:56 pm
(101) Lauren says:

i’ve just finished reading the book, and i watched the film before i read the book. i enjoyed them both, and i cried at the film, the book i did not. i could NOT believe the ending of the book, simply because it shocked me. remember, i did watch the film first, so i definately was not expecting it. i was shocked. and to be honest ANGRY. i didnt want anna to die, i prefer the idea of kate’s death. simply, because it seems wrong as anna went through everything for nothing. except that her sister lives on, what she always wanted, but loosing her own life without any warning or choice, unlike kate. It wasnt fair. but hey, it’s just a story. but an incredible one at that.

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm
(102) miss jaded says:

Realism isn’t always the point, it’s fiction remember. The question is what point is the author/director trying to draw. I can see why a lot of people would find the book’s ending forced or contrived; but if the point is the fleetingness and unpredictibility of life and a need to value all of your children and not just the most obviously vulnerable, then that end may not be best served by the movies admittedly more believable ending.

September 2, 2010 at 1:52 am
(103) Emily says:

I read the book about a month ago, and just watched the movie tonight. I found the book ending kind of forced, as to just achieve that “wow” moment, but in thinking about it, it really showed the moral of the story. The name is “My Sister’s Keeper”, which she ultimately did. Which clearly changes everything in the movie when the car scene doesn’t happen. Hollywood did mess up on this, but I can understand why. I’m just curious as to why this movie was made so different, when the initial storyline was so successful. I really don’t think it was a good idea, especially since the followers are angry, and the original ending evokes more of a reaction.
This isn’t even mentioning the atrocity that happened when they changed up Anna’s confession, Julia’s role, the dog’s uselessness in the movie, and the father-daughter relationship was entirely lacking!
I’m a realist, but come on people, it’s a story. The book was clearly written for a purpose, and the movie does nothing to fulfill it.

September 7, 2010 at 12:25 am
(104) jake says:

Emily there are probably just as many people who thought the book ending was kind of dumb as there are who liked it. The difference is is that if they didn’t like it they would be less likely to go online and talk about it (they would just put it down and move on to something else).

The movie ending still leaves a strong message but it is just a little bit of a different message. The movie overall is about the mom and how she is finally able to ‘let go.’

And no movie includes everything that was in the book. You can’t possibly do it when the story is only two hours long.

September 7, 2010 at 6:36 am
(105) Madi Barry says:

im 13 and just finished reading the book tonight i was talking to mum she has read the book but not seen the movie she did not know that in the movie the ending changed she couldnt believe it. i saw the movie and thought i loved it then read the book, hated the movie and love dthe book. i cant believe they can change the ending it totally wreaked the story.
julia was left out of the movie what the hell?
the dog had to meaning in the movie.
anna dies in the book but kate dies in the movie–what?
even though i watched the movie first it was a let down to the book

September 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm
(106) missy says:

I read the book a few months before the movie came out so i could compare them. I was so disappointing after the movie. I think if i read the book after the movie i would have been much happier with the outcome. If i chose to see the movie first i wouldn’t have been let down with the less exciting ending. By itself, the movie was very successful and acted our very well. Although the movie was very good and tear jerking the book was much better and there was much more action and detail that i think drastically added to the suspense of the book.

December 31, 2010 at 3:01 pm
(107) Ella says:

I liked the book ending better.
I thought that it wasn’t right that they changed the book’s ending in the movie.
I thought that the book was way better then the movie.
Sorry but that is how I feel.

January 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm
(108) Jake says:

That’s true Ella.

But I prefer the movie ending because it rings much truer to life then the book ending does. The book ending is highly cliched (just trying to put in a what the heck moment at the end) and is too stuck on trying to prove a point.

January 21, 2011 at 4:29 am
(109) Anonymous says:

They should of included the lilly pad scene in the book where both girls fight and divide up the room. That would have been precious.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(110) Samantha says:

I can’t believe the ending of the movie! I was so mad! I watched the movie with my husband, who hadn’t read the book, and was expecting him to be shocked by the ending. But little did I know the ending was completely different! Also, they completely missed Jesse’s character, and the reason Anna moved into the firehouse was way off. I was severely disappointed by the movie.

However, the actress who played Anna was perfect in my opinion, and the acting was thoroughly good by everyone.

March 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(111) Helen says:

i liked the ending of the movie better. The book’s ending was not realistic and I thought it sold kate’s sister short. The movie had the plausible ending that made sense. It just fit life.

March 17, 2011 at 4:09 am
(112) Tash says:

The movie now has a pretty bad plot, a girl gets cancer and dies?

April 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(113) Linda says:

I read the book a long time ago and just saw the movie yesterday at home. Yes key things were missing but I remember being really bummed about the book’s ending. I liked Anna, wanted her to live a full, active life and I wanted God to be able to say to the parents, “you can’t control whether Kate lives or dies if I want to bring her home”. I liked Kate too and wanted her to be able to let go of her short painful life and go be with Taylor. Her parents, went overboard and selfishlessly had Anna and used her to keep Kate alive and in the book end, virtually won and were rewarded. It was not right to have Anna for one reason only, put her through numerous painful procedures from birth, expect her to accept that she only lived for Kate, and couldn’t do what she wanted with her own life because of it, sports or whatever. Then Anna saves Kate for good after dying herself. They used a human being who couldn’t decide for herself to the fullest and then threw her away. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie ending – it was more realistic as Kate probably would not have survived the surgery, and Anna, God’s choice, got to live, and Kate got to finally rest.

April 18, 2011 at 1:13 am
(114) john says:

I saw the movie and I loved it, the books ending would make reading the story pointless. Didn’t Anna do enough? Kate death opened understanding to the all the characters involved. I’m glad the director had common sense

April 18, 2011 at 2:17 am
(115) Angela says:

Loved the movie up until the ending. Maybe it’s because I read the book first; but the ending of the book was much more of a tear jerker to me. The books ending was NOT pointless. As you can tell if you would have read the epilogue and prologue.

May 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm
(116) angelo says:

the movies better dot.

May 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(117) Mara says:

I read the book about 5 or so years before the movie was made, and I liked the book better than the movie. They should have shot the original ending, but the movie audience wouldn’t have liked.

I also read PS I LOVE YOU years before the movie came out. PS I LOVE YOU is one of my favorite books, and they movie stunk.

May 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(118) Janet says:

Definitely the movie ending is better. Anna deserves to live and Katie wanted to die. Also Katie nearly died when she receives Anna’s kidney and she only lived because Anna live. I read somewhere that the author chose the book ending because a nurse told her it was the right one, but that is a bias answer as the nurse would always be on the sick person’s side. Anna worked hard for this and it is wrong to take that away from her!

June 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(119) Michelle says:

I Just Finished Ready My Sisters Keeper & I Adored The Book It Made Me Laugh, Smile, & Feel Everything I Loved The Love Interest Between Julia & Campbell, & The Struggle Jesse Was Going Through Too Get Noticed In Some Way! It Threw My Emotions For A Thrill Ride! :) So Today I Netflixed The Movie & I Have To Say I Did Not Enjoy It I Loved Who Was Playing Who, But It Didn’t Make Me Feel Th Same, There Was No Love Interest, Jesse Was Away In Silence Like He Didn’t Want Too Even Be There & The Ending Was Way Different. But Thing Too Do!

July 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm
(120) Kate says:

So, i finished reading the book about a week ago and then got really excited to see the movie. I thought that it would more closely resemble the book. But hearing that many of my favorite parts are left out i’m wondering if i should still see it. I don’t like the fact that they don’t go into more detail with the relationships between Judge&Campbell and Anna& her dad. Also, i think that the rebellious Jesse is key to the condition of the family. Like most i don’t want to see a different ending and really liked julia. I feel that without these key elements of the plot, like the comic relief of julias sister or the twist ending, the story really loses the touches that made me fall in love with it. Even though the plot was altered, should i still see the movie??

July 25, 2011 at 9:39 am
(121) Dodo says:

In my point of view, what makes the book different from movie is the controversy it brings to us. However, the movie misses this point totally.

What’s more, I think the ending of the book is the most successful part. Although it is too dramatic, but I think life is unexpected and unpredictable. You can only treat everyday is the last day. You cannot regret for what you have done.

The ending really breaks Sara’s heart. I think she will spend her whole life time regret for what she has done to Anna. And this is the most important point. If the ending is just like the moive’s one, Sara will never think of the way she treated Anna.

I am really dissapointed with the movie. I dun think the director truely know the meaning of the book itself.

August 8, 2011 at 7:40 am
(122) Ayeshma says:

I am so disappointed.
I’m so glad that I read the book first because the book is amazing. Its unfair that the film has removed so much detail, the magic of the book is taken away. One main part of the book was the ending, resulting in Anna’s tragic death and Kate’s view of everything. The ending in the book was unexpected and also a good ending, whereas the ending in the film is something people would have expected and that takes away the thrill of the story. Also, many other details are missing, such as Campbell and Julia’s relationship(Julia isnt even IN the film), Jesse is an undeveloped character(in the film he’s well behaved and causes no problems, that ruins the family structure) and Brian’s work as fire chief is not presented, and his role with fire itself is important to the story. Also the mystery of Judge the dog is another significant detail left out and the sudden epileptic fit of Campbell can cause confusion to the viewer of the film.
I can honestly say that the film was good, as the acting in all areas were precise and I can say my favourite part in the film that was actually detailed was the story of Kate and Taylor, that was something that was highlighted and made me emotional, however other than that nothing was as good.
My Sister’s Keeper is an amazing book, I would recommend it to anyone, it is a book that causes thrills and heartbreak. The fact that the film doesnt give justice to the book is upsetting and if the Jodi isnt satisfied, then the director should have taken her wishes into account. I was looking forward to watching the ending and then seeing it was depressing. However all films that are based on books turn out to be not as good as the book itself so its expectable.

August 8, 2011 at 7:49 am
(123) Ayeshma says:

ALSO, ANNA IS 13 IN THE BOOK, NOT 11! GRRRRR

August 10, 2011 at 4:12 am
(124) Melanie says:

Yeah, I absolutely hated this movie. I was disgusted. If the movie and characters weren’t given the same name as in the book, I would never have assumed it was even based on that book. It was all wrong! As people have been saying, the relationships and characters totally weren’t established enough, the different ending made me so mad, and Julia was one of my favorite characters and I can’t believe they left her out!
Stupid stupid movie. Couldn’t even get ages right. Doesn’t help that I watched the movie like 5 minutes after I finished the book, but nonetheless. The only other movie based on a book to ever disappoint me this bad was twilight. Anyway, the director really dropped the ball on this one…

September 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm
(125) Nikita Austen says:

One word : Horrible. The biggest failure of remaking a book I have ever seen.

October 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm
(126) Paige V says:

I found the movie great, then again I am reading the book after the movie and the book seems to be really good. The movie had great actors and great suspense as well as sadness. Though the movie is somewhat different to the book, i found the movie still good, same with the book.

December 7, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(127) Kate says:

Are you kidding?! The ending of the book was incredibly stupid. It ruined the point of the entire story and made the previous 400 pages pointless. It was cheap and gimmicky like an M. Night Shyamalan movie. It needs to be taken out… not that the rest of the book wasn’t poorly written emotional manipulation, but at least the premise was interesting enough.

I will never read another book by this hack author. If the movie changed the ending, then the movie improved the book.

January 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm
(128) Natalie Hernandez says:

I liked the movie way better. I hated the ending of the book. Anna shouldn’t have died. I loved her role! It was sad that she had to donate so many times throughout her whole life and then lose it just like that.

January 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(129) Mimi says:

I think people tend to like the version they saw first … because they think of it as the “original”. I happen to have read the book first, and agree with the general consensus on these boards that the movie was merely a shell of what the book offered. On the other hand, I’m not giving the movie a fair shake because I couldn’t help but compare the movie to the book as I was watching it. Perhaps if I watched the movie on its own, I would have enjoyed it. As it was, I was thoroughly disappointed.

January 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm
(130) Alice says:

I’m so mad about the movie! They missed out so much it was unbelieveble. They compleatly left out Julias character which in a way softens the blow when Anna dies in the book. Jesses character was changed from an arsonist trouble maker to a sad artist which really irritated me considering Jesse was the most interesting, deep character. Brian was compleatly undeveloped and they left out the stargazing which was a big part of the book. I knew that some stuff in the book would have been changed in the movie but that fact they compleatly changed the book and still called it “My Sisters Keeper” is awful. I don’t know how Jodi could have let them do it. They also had half the story narrated by Kate, which wasn’t the point of the book.

February 2, 2012 at 9:18 am
(131) ccc says:

I love the book and agree tht the movie took some important things out. Howeve when it comes to the ending I believe tht it was more realsitic in the movie I understand y she killed anna but feel she didn’t have to and kate shouldn’t of. Magically gotten better u would of loved to see sara and anna rebulid there relationship but if anna did have to die then kate should of too thts the onely way to make it right cance dosent disapper cux ur sister dies. I honestly thik both ends sucked and could of been done better

March 2, 2012 at 9:37 am
(132) Clairey says:

I liked both the book and the film. Massively preferred the film ending though. The book threw in something entirely unrealistic, which ruined the point of the entire message, and then just stopped without doing justice to rounding up any of the subsidary plots. If I’d have known the last 10 pages would be so empty then I might have stopped without reading them as they undid a lot of the good writing in the rest of the book. Of course, by the time you’ve got that far you’re willing to put up with it but it didn’t stop those pages and their content from being a huge disappointment. Yes the movie wasn’t able to contain everything from the otherwise enjoyable and poinant book but itself was a very good depiction of the struggles and had a much much more realistic and fulfilling end. As someone mentioned. If Anna was to die then really they both should have. Life is certainly not as simple as one or the other and that was not the message of the book. Or at least it certinaly shouldn’t be what people read into it as it cheapens what is otherwise a very complex and emotional issue.

April 1, 2012 at 1:31 am
(133) Cassandra says:

I just finished watching the movie and couldn’t stop crying. I thought the movie was really powerful, well acted, and well written. I never read the book, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was pretty shocked to learn about how different the ending was from the book and I’m sure that it must have been disappointing to all of those who were so emotionally invested in the plot of the book. However, with that said, it is nearly impossible to make a movie adaptation please everyone — What people imagine in their heads as they are reading a book can never be recreated on the screen in the exact same manner. I went to school for screenwriting and one of my biggest fascinations/concentrations during my education was movie adaptations. Novels inherently have a different formula than the rigid three act structure of a commercial movie. In order to make a successful movie, sometimes major plot points, subplots, and characters need to be changed, cut, or combined to service the dramatic structure. Although the ending of the book and movie were very different, I thought that the ending that the movie chose still emotionally worked and gave closure. It would have definitely been interesting to show the book version (which seemed more thought provoking), but perhaps it would’ve stretched out the third act out too long and the movie needed a quicker resolution?

May 17, 2012 at 1:19 am
(134) aleisha says:

The book is so much better in the movies they left out half of the book including that in the book the judge is a male. The fact that jesse is barely metioned not to metion the facet that they left out Julia this movie could’ve been the greatest ever but the ending ruined the whole thing it was too predictable if you hadnt read the book its so stupid it ruined a perfectly good novel =/

June 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(135) Moryah says:

I was so excited when I started watching this movie. All I could think was “They are almost doing it word for word!” and as I got into it, the more frustrated I became. Like all of you stated before, they completely left out key point of the story! The way they made Mr. Alexander completely random and out of place bothered me. The ENDING! It would have made sense if they had made the whole idea around My Sister’s Keeper by themselves, but to take an author’s work and change the ending of a book, to that magnitude is absolutely horrible. There is no reason for a company to pick up a book and tell the author they want to make a movie out of it, and then pretty much say “Oh! By the way, we are going to take the heart of your story, the part that makes it a masterpiece and completely change it even though it’s against your wishes.” They might as well chosen a similar plot and changed all the names and some of the events and claimed they made the idea up by themselves and that the likeness was just coincidental. I loved this book and wished I had stayed away from the movie adaption because I was sorely disappointed.
I will admit that the movie had a few strong points. The beach seen was extremely touching, even if it wasn’t in the book. Also, the scene where Kate is holding Sarah in her arms and telling her it will be alright broke my heart. The thought of having your dying daughter into her arms and tell you everything will be alright was extremely emotional and beautiful in a sense. I am definitely biased, having read the book, but these scenes were endearing and I’m glad they were added.
If you haven’t read the book I suggest this movie, because it is pretty good when it stands alone.
If you have read the book, you will most likely be disappointed.
I say this as a one person party. I know that there are people out there who liked the book and the movie adaption and I respect all.
:-)

June 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(136) Lili says:

In all honesty i just read the book for summer reading and a lot of u are saying the movie ruined the booc because of the ending however i disliked the ending in the book..its like u pretty much knew Kate or Anna was going to survive. I just feel like after all Anna went through:the suregeries, court, her family her death was just..wrong. Especially because in the previous pages Anna and Campbell were all like Anna in 10 years from know Anna you will be ….yeah and they were talking and campbelles imagining her older, and then boom! shes brain dead? The author said Anna died because it was more realistic?? It was just randomm..the more realistic thing would have been Kates death. I was sobbing when Anna died :( i would have been sad if kate died too considering my uncle died of leukemia ….but i feel Annas death was unjust..it would of been great if both survived, but no. so in contradiction to all of u, im going to go watch the movie so i can still pretend Anna livess, but i would still be sad Kate died. :( but reallly i heard Julias not in the movie at all, so then what would happen with campbell??

September 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(137) Olivia says:

Jake, the ending is not cliche in the book, it shows how Anna fought in vein for the rights to her own body. That is another thing that the book completly altered, Anna, in the book, was not trying to gain emancipation for Kate’s sake, but for her own right to life. The prologue and epilogue completely made the book for me and they as well were left out. But the thing that has infuriated me was the lack of a car crash, where the father (a fire fighter) is called to his own daughters accident, which was all the more touching when you understood the bond he and Anna shared WHICH WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE BOOK. The film made it all about Kate when it was supposed to show how it affect the who family, both as a unit and as individuals. While the film was touching, its nothing compared to the book. I hope to God that some one remakes it properly!

November 29, 2012 at 6:14 am
(138) Geoff says:

The ending in the book is ridiculous and is moreof a ‘hollywood’ ending than the movie. Whilst i agree some parts of the book should have been in the movie, the only realistic ending is in the movie. The fact is that had Kate gotten Annas kidney, it would have extended her life but not saved it. She still had cancer and after Anna died she had no one to save her. The book ending was extremely unrealistic

January 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm
(139) murray says:

I agree with all above.

March 15, 2013 at 10:07 am
(140) fazrin says:

i just watched the movie and i was so disappointed! i hate it i hate it i hate it! it was one of the worst movie adaptations i ever watched. how i wish i could kill nick cassavetes!

June 15, 2013 at 11:56 am
(141) Janet says:

I think killing off Anna was a terrible decision and really low in the book. She fought for something and won and it taken away from her. In the end it is like Jodi Picoult is saying that that in the end Anna is parts and only parts, a tool to save Kate, not a human being worth to live her life or at least given a chance to live. I pretty sure Anna would have donated a kidney if she wanted to since she loved her sister so much and it would be her own choice instead of being forced on her, but killing her off was so low. Also there was no guarantee that the kidney transplant would have saved Kate’s life or make it better. She was pretty close to dying in the book and there was the possibility that she wouldn’t even survive the procedure or the transplant would be too late to save her. There is also possible complications down the line from the transplant and other complications that might not have reveal themselves yet.