1. Entertainment
Erin Collazo Miller

The Lucky One Book vs. Movie

By April 18, 2012

'Lucky One' by Nicholas SparksNicholas Sparks has had success translating his books to the big screen. This week The Lucky One hits theaters. The Lucky One is the story of a man who finds a photograph he thinks is lucky and then decides to track down the woman in the picture. If you're a Sparks fan, leave a comment with how the movie compares to the book.

Cover Photo Courtesy Grand Central

Comments

April 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm
(1) Samantha says:

I loved the book. I was sad when I finished it because I enjoyed it so much. Because the book was wonderful, my friend and I made a whole day of seeing the movie. I was very unhappy with the changes they made to the storyline. I know stories tend to change when adapted for the big screen but this was almost a completely different story! I really like Zac Efron and wanted to like him in his role as Logan. Sadly, he just couldn’t pull it off. The plot needed more of the background found in the book to make it successful.

April 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(2) Kali says:

I couldn’t wait to see the movie after reading the book. I was unsure of what to expect, knowing the movie does not always remain true to the story line in the book. My disappointment came when my interpretation of the book, and the things I found significant, were not present in the movie. Ooops! Either I’m very imaginative and went in a totally different direction or my reading skills were an epic fail. I guess I wanted to see more about the significance of the picture… and it’s transition to the boy. Oh well, still enjoyed the movie. I felt the characters stayed true to the book, which I appreciated.

April 23, 2012 at 8:21 am
(3) Mrs. Schenck says:

I loved the book, however, I was disappointed in the changes that was made in the movie.
The book was exciting compared to the movie. The movie didn’t keep my interest at all. I kind of felt bad for dragging my hubby out to see it.

April 25, 2012 at 11:03 am
(4) Josh says:

So many things I hated about the movie.

Why kill off the backstory between Clayton and Logan that was established in the first chapter of the book when Logan discovered Clayton taking pictures of the Co-Eds and eventually took the camera? It did so much in the book to establish Clayton as a creep and build foreshadow their eventual relationship when he got to town.

Zeus was made to take a backseat in the film when he was such an important part of the book, and even saved Ben’s life. I was really disappointed with the decision to write the dog off like that. Heck, the whole reason Logan got Zeus in the book was because Beth had a shepherd in the photo – but that was even written out in the movie.

Nana sure got around a lot better in the movie than she did in the book.

Ben didn’t even wear glasses in the film! Why write that out?

Hell, even his relationship with Victor was glossed over in the film.

The movie was a big fail for me. I’m not usually the “book nerd” who rages on about how things were changed but this movie seemed to change them when they didn’t need to be changed at all.

August 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(5) Allison says:

I very much enjoy reading Nicholas Sparks’ novels and The Lucky One was no exception, however as with every movie that has been made from his work it was also not an exception to the disappointment I felt when so many alterations had been made to the storyline. What was made significant in the novel was, much to my dismay, made largely insignificant in or even left out of the movie. While some deviation from the original storyline was to be expected, much of the seemingly “little” details and some important elements were unnecessarily left out. Had I not read the book, the movie could have quite possibly been enjoyable.

September 24, 2012 at 11:05 am
(6) Fan says:

I watched the movie first so I didn’t have any disappointments. I think it’s always better to watch a movie first before reading the book

January 21, 2013 at 12:43 am
(7) Caitlin says:

I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan and have read a majority of his books. I finally had a chance to see The Lucky One and I have to say I was completely thrilled!!

It was an emotional roller coaster as all of his movies and books are. I found that the movie followed the story line extremely well and edited excessive irrelevant data wherever necessary. The best part was the ending as I could’ve sworn the ending concluded as all of the books do, but apparently I remembered wrong! This was a fabulous book and movie and I think everyone should see it! Finally a movie that gives us hope in a world of darkness!