Early Life & Education:
Veronica Roth was born August 19, 1988. She grew up in Barrington, IL, a suburb of Chicago. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota for one year and then transferred to Northwestern University, in Chicago. She graduated from Northwestern in 2010 with a degree in creative writing.
Random Facts about Veronica:
- She is 6 feet tall.
- She is a Christian and sometimes writes about her beliefs on her blog.
- She says her interests include cooking, psychology, biology, theology and poetry.
- She often writes about writing on her blog and gives advice to aspiring writers
- She struggles with anxiety and is open about going to therapy to deal with it. As a result of the therapy, she decided to turn off comments on her blog.
- When asked which faction she would choose, Roth answered "Abnegation."
Her Favorite Books:
- 2011 - Divergent - This is the first book in a young adult dystopian trilogy that takes place in a future Chicago. The story is told from the perspective of Tris, a sixteen year old. This future society is split into five factions based on the virtue they cultivate -- Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). Every sixteen year old must choose which faction they will devote their lives to and then undergo a rigorous initiation into the group. Beatrice, or Tris, must choose between her family and who she truly is.
- 2012 - Insurgent - The second book in the Divergent Trilogy deals with the fallout of Tris' choice and a looming war between factions.
- 2012 - "Free Four" - This short story retells the knife throwing scene from Divergent from Tobias' perspective. It is a free e-story that is 13 pages long.
- 2013 - Shards & Ashes - This anthology of short stories included a selection from Veronica Roth.
- 2013 - More Four! - This free e-book will include four new Divergent short stories told from the perspective of Tobias Eaton. The first story in the collection, "The Transfer: A Divergent Story," will be released September 24.
- 2013 - Allegiant - The last book in the Divergent Trilogy will be released in October 2013 and complete the saga.
- The movie of Divergent will be released March 21, 2014. Here is an interview about the movie with some of the actors from Comic Con 2013. Divergent is directed by Neil Burger and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Kate Winslet. The film is produced by Summit Entertainment, the same studio behind the popular Twilight movies. Most of the movie was filmed in Chicago.
- In May 2013, it was announced that a sequel to the movie based on Insurgent is planned.