Spoiler Warning: These book club discussion questions reveal important details about Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. Finish the book before reading on.
- What do you think is the Major's "last stand?" What are different ways the title could be interpreted?
- Were you surprised by how strongly the Major's friends and club members responded to his relationship with Mrs. Ali? Do you see those kinds of prejudices in society?
- Do you think the Major's differences with his son were mostly a generational gap or a difference in personalities?
- What did the guns represent to the Major? How did his view of them change over the course of the novel?
- In what ways is the Major and Mrs. Ali's romance different because of their age? In what ways is falling in love the same?
- Rate Major Pettigrew's Last Stand on a scale of 1 to 5.