Spoiler Warning: These book club discussion questions reveal important details about One Day by David Nicholls. Finish the book before reading on.
- Do you think Dexter and Emma would have been happy had they admitted their love and devotion to each other much earlier in their lives? Is their love a product of their long, off and on friendship through the years, or could it have been realized even if they'd gotten together earlier? Do you know people who have had a similar relationship?
- Why do you think Dexter came so close to telling Emma his true feelings (for example, in the candid letter to her that he stuck in a book and promptly forgot) but then decided against it?
- Do you know people who make wrong choices repeatedly and almost seem determined to be unhappy? Do you think this is a good description of Emma? Dexter? Neither?
- Did Emma's sudden accident and death take you by surprise? If not, how did you see it coming?
- Did Emma ever really love Ian or was she just trying to, hoping to? How did you feel when their relationship ended?
- Do you have a favorite character? A least favorite?
- The When Harry Met Sally question: What do you think - can a single man and a single woman ever truly be "just friends," or does one of them always want more?
- Rate One Day by David Nicholls on a scale of 1 to 5.