Spoiler Warning: These book club discussion questions reveal important details about Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. Finish the book before reading on.
- Who did you sympathize with more, Julia or Valentina? Did your sympathies change as the story moved on?
- Why do you think Valentina chose to risk death to be free from Julia? How much do you think Elspeth influenced her decision?
- Do you think Elspeth intended to take Valentina's body all along?
- How culpable was Robert in the plot to fake Valentina's death?
- What does the subplot about Martin and Marijke add to the novel? How does their reunion compare with Robert and Elspeth's?
- When you found out Elspeth and Edie's secret, did it change your opinion of those characters? Why do you think they tried to trick Jack in that way?
- In what ways did each of the characters manipulate and control those they loved? Did the manipulators turn out happy in the end?
- Rate Her Fearful Symmetry on a scale of 1 to 5.