Spoiler Warning: These book club discussion questions on House Rules by Jodi Picoult reveal important details about the book. Finish the novel before reading on.
- Did the title of the book, "House Rules," clue you in to the solution of the murder? Why were the house rules so important to Jacob?
- Did you guess what happened at Jess' house before the end of the book?
- Was it believable that Jacob would try to cover for Theo without understanding that he was implicating himself in the murder?
- What do you think happened to the characters after they went to tell the judge about Theo being at the house? Were you upset that there was not more of a conclusion to the story?
- Do you think an insanity defense if appropriate for someone with Asperger's? Why or why not?
- Do you know anyone with Asperger's syndrome? Did the descriptions of Jacob fit what you know of that person?
- Did you learn anything new about Asperger's syndrome?
- What did you think of Oliver's romance with Jacob's mother?
- Rate House Rules on a scale of 1 to 5.