The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger is a great choice for book clubs. Lead your reading group in discussing this love story with these questions.
- Why do you think Niffenegger used the title The Time Traveler's Wife instead of just The Time Traveler?
- The story is sometimes told by Clare, sometimes by Henry. Did you like how it was organized? How did their different perspectives help you understand their love?
- For Clare, there is always a sense of waiting. Discuss the different ways she is waiting throughout the story. What roles do longing, anticipation and absence play?
- Who is your favorite character?
- How does their desire for a child affect their relationship?
- Do you believe Alba will have a better life than Henry? How is her perspective on time travel different than his?
- How is their relationship changed by the fact that they experience events at different times--I.E. Clare experiences in her childhood what Henry will not experience for decades?
- Is this story fatalistic?
- Do you agree with Henry's rule of keeping the future a secret from himself so he can live as normal a life as possible? Discuss the times that he breaks this rule and whether you think those are good decisions.
- Did you like the ending?
- Rate this book on a scale of one to five.