Spoiler Warning: These book club discussion questions reveal important details about The Yiddish Policemen's Union. Finish the book before reading on.
- How would you describe this novel in one sentence?
- What is the “Yiddish Policemen’s Union” a metaphor for? How does it compare the other “unions” throughout the novel?
- Which detective novel staples did Chabon employ? Which stereotypes did he break?
- What were the main clues to the mystery of the murder of Mendel Shpilman? What do you think really happened?
- What do you think of the Jewish people’s idea of “Zion”? Can it be anywhere or is it one place?
- Why would there be some still looking for the Messiah in the 21st century?
- Do you think a conspiracy like the one is this novel could occur? Why or why not?
- Rate The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon on a scale of 1 to 5.